Department of Global and Community Health
College of Public Health
Dr. Sang Daniel Choi, Ph.D., MPH, MS, CSP, CPE is Professor in the Department of Global and Community Health at George Mason University. Choi’s research interests are environmental and occupational health and safety, human factors & ergonomics, total workers health, fall prevention (older adults), and prevention through design (PtD). Choi is a nationally and internationally recognized with extensive knowledge and experience in the occupational and environmental health (OEH) and industrial-community health & safety. Before coming to Mason, Choi was OSH specialist for DHHS CDC/NIOSH Intergovernmental Personnel Act (IPA) Mobility Program, and Professor in the Department of Occupational & Environmental Safety & Health (OESH) at the University of Wisconsin. Choi is a U.S. Board Certified Safety Professional (BCSP), and U.S. Board Certified Professional Ergonomist (BCPE).
- M.P.H., The George Washington University, Washington, D.C., Milken Institute School of Public Health. Specialization: Public Health
- Ph.D., Western Michigan University, Industrial Engineering (Ergonomics and Safety). Graduate Research and Creative Scholar.
- M.S., Industrial Engineering (Human Factors). Wichita State University, Kansas
- Ma*, T., Zhang, Y., Choi, S. D., & Xiong, S. (2023). A systematic review of modeling methodologies for the evaluation of industrial exoskeletons. Applied Ergonomics, 113:104100. doi: 10.1016/j.apergo.2023.104100.
- Arias, O., Groehler*, J., Wolff, M., & Choi, S. D. (2023). Assessment of musculoskeletal pain and physical demands using a wearable smartwatch heart monitor among precast concrete construction workers: A field case study. Novel Approaches and Applications in Ergonomic Design II. Applied Sciences, 13(4), 2347. https://doi.org/10.3390/app13042347.
- Choi, S. D., & Andrade, E. (2022). Multiple-level fall risks associated with socioeconomic factors among community-dwelling older adults: A systematic review. Industrial and Systems Engineering Review, 10(1), 10-27. https://doi.org/10.37266/ISER.2022v10i1.pp10-27
- Arias, O., Koenig*, G., & Choi, S. D. (2022). Musculoskeletal acute and chronic pain surveyed among construction workers in Wisconsin, United States: A pilot study. In Special Issue: Sustainable Development of Occupational Health and Wellbeing. Sustainability, 14(20), 13279. doi.org/10.3390/su142013279
- Delgado-Fernández, V. J., Rey-Merchán, M. C., López-Arquillos, A., & Choi, S. D. (2022). Occupational traffic accidents among teachers in Spain. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 19(9). 5175. doi:10.3390/ijerph19095175.
- Rey-Merchán, M. C., Gómez-de-Gabriel, J. M., López-Arquillos, A., & Choi, S. D. (2021). Analysis of falls from height variables in occupational accidents. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 18(24), 13417. doi.org/10.3390/ijerph182413417
- Choi, S. D., & Staley, J. A. (2021). Safety and health implications of COVID-19 on the United States construction industry. Industrial and Systems Engineering Review, 9(1), 56-67. doi.org/10.37266/ISER.2021v9i1.pp56-67
- Kim*, T., Choi, S.D., & Xiong, S. (2020). Epidemiology of fall and its socioeconomic risk factors in community-dwelling Korean elderly. PLOS ONE, 15(6): e0234787. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0234787
- Sinyai, C., & Choi, S. (2020). Fifteen year of American construction occupational safety and health research. Safety Science, 131, 2020. doi:10.1016/j.ssci.2020.104915
- Choi, S. D., Guo*, L., Kim, J.H., & Xiong, S. (2019). Comparison of fatal occupational injuries in construction industry in the United States, South Korea, and China. International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, 71, 64-74. doi: 10.1016/j.ergon.2019.02.011
- Sneller*, T.N., Choi, S. D., & Ahn, K. (2018). Awareness and perceptions of ergonomic programs between workers and managers surveyed in the construction industry. WORK: A Journal of Prevention, Assessment & Rehabilitation, 61(1), 41-54. doi: 10.3233/WOR-182778
- Baertschi*, B., Choi, S. D., & Ahn, K. (2018). Safety climate as an indicator and predictor of safety performance: A case study. Industrial and Systems Engineering Review, 6(1), 1-9.
- Mungroo*, S., & Choi, S. D. (2018). Ergonomic assessment of work-related musculoskeletal risks among construction roofers in Central Trinidad. Journal of Safety, Health and Environmental Research. American Society of Safety Professionals (ASSP), 14(1), 322-329.
- Dong, S., Largay, J., Choi, S. D., Wang, X., Cain, C.T., & Romano, N. (2017). Fatal falls and PFAS use in the construction industry: Findings from the NIOSH FACE reports. Accident Analysis and Prevention, 102, 136-143. doi: 10.1016/j.aap.2017.02.028
- Choi, S. D., Guo*, L., Kang*, D., & Xiong, S. (2017). Exergame technology and interactive interventions for elderly fall prevention: A systematic literature review. Applied Ergonomics, 65, 570-581. (Virtual Special Section on New Technologies in Human Factors and Ergonomics Research and Practice.
- Choi, S. D., Rajendran, S., & Ahn, K. (2017). Stretch & flex programs: Effects on the reduction of musculoskeletal disorders & injuries. Professional Safety, 62(5), 38-43.
- Wang, X., Dong, X.S., Choi, S. D., & Dement, J. (2017). Work-related musculoskeletal disorders
- among construction workers in the United States from 1992 to 2014. Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 74(5), 374-380. doi: 10.1136/oemed-2016-103943.
- Choi, S. D., Yuan, L., & Borchardt, J.G. (2016). Musculoskeletal disorders in construction: Practical solutions from the literature. Professional Safety, 61(1), 26-32.
- Choi, S. D., & Brings*, K. (2016). Work-related musculoskeletal risks associated with nurses and nursing assistants handling overweight and obese patients: A literature review. WORK: A Journal of Prevention, Assessment & Rehabilitation, 53(2), 439-448.
- Choi, S. D., & Ahn, K. (2015). A study of work-related musculoskeletal risks associated with the outpatient surgeries. Journal of Environmental and Occupational Science, 4(4), 190-195. doi: 10.5455/jeos.20151016125049
- Brown, E., & Choi, S. D. (2015). Obesity and the risk for occupational injuries: A literature review. Journal of Environmental and Occupational Science, 4(3), 163-170. doi: 10.5455/jeos.20150715120050
- Choi, S. D. (2015). Aging workers and trade related injuries in the US construction industry. Journal Safety and Health at Work, 6(2), 151-155. doi:10.1016/j.shaw.2015.02.002
- Porter, P., & Choi, S. D. (2015). Work related musculoskeletal risks associated with the care,
- treatment and transportation of bariatric patients: A review. Journal of Environmental and Occupational Science, 4(1), 53-55. doi: 10.5455/jeos.20141231093214
- Dong, X.S., Wang, X., Largay, J.A., Platner, J.W., Stafford, E., Cain, C.T., &, Choi, S. D. (2014).
- Fatal falls in the U.S. residential construction industry. American Journal of Industrial Medicine, 57(9), 992-1000. doi: 10.1002/ajim.22341
- Choi, S. D., & Carlson*, K. (2014). Occupational safety issues of residential construction surveyed in Wisconsin, United States. Industrial Health, 52(6), 541-547. doi: 10.2486/indhealth.2014-0008
- Choi, S. D., Rosenthal*, D., & Hauser*, S. (2013). Health and safety issues of older workers surveyed in the construction industry. Industrial and Systems Engineering Review, 1(2), 123-131.
- Dong, S., Choi, S. D., Borchardt, J., Wang, X., & Largay, J. (2013). Fatal falls from roofs among U.S. construction workers. Journal of Safety Research, 44, 17-24.
- Choi, S. D., Borchardt, J., & Proksch*, T. (2012). Translating academic research on manual lifting tasks observations into construction workplace good practices. Journal of Safety, Health and Environmental Research, 8(1), 3-10.
- Choi, S. D. (2012). A review of the ergonomic issues in the laparoscopic operating room. Journal of Healthcare Engineering (Special issue on Engineering for Patient Safety), 3(4), 587-604.
- Hermanson*, J., & Choi, S. D. (2012). Study of musculoskeletal risks of the office-based surgeries. WORK: A Journal of Prevention, Assessment & Rehabilitation, 41(Supplement 1), 1940-1943.
- Choi, S. D. (2012). A study of trade-specific occupational ergonomics considerations in the U.S. construction industry. WORK: A Journal of Prevention, Assessment & Rehabilitation, 42(2), 215-222.
- Choi, S. D., & Woletz*, T. (2010). Do stretching programs prevent work-related musculoskeletal
- disorders? Journal of Safety, Health and Environmental Research, 6(3), 1-8.
- Choi, S. D. (2010). Ergonomic assessment of musculoskeletal discomfort of iron workers in highway construction. WORK: A Journal of Prevention, Assessment & Rehabilitation, 36, 47-53.
- Sa*, J., Seo, D.-C., & Choi, S. D. (2009). Comparison of risk factors for falls from height between commercial and residential roofers. Journal of Safety Research, 40(1), 1-6.
- Choi, S. D. (2009). Safety and ergonomic considerations for an aging workforce in the US
- construction industry. WORK: A Journal of Prevention, Assessment & Rehabilitation, 33(3), 307-315.
- Choi, S. D. (2008). Postural balance and adaptations in transitioning sloped surfaces. International Journal of Construction Education and Research, 4(3), 189-
- Choi, S. D., & Fredericks, T.K. (2008). The effect of adjustment period on maximum acceptable frequency for a roofing task. International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, 38(2), 222-231. (Special issue: Spanning the Gap from Traditional Ergonomics to Health and Safety Issues)
- Choi, S. D., Hudson*, L., Kangas*, P., Jungen*, B., Maple*, J., & Bowen*, C. (2007). Occupational ergonomic issues in highway construction surveyed in Wisconsin, United States. Industrial Health, 45(3), 487-493.
- Choi, S. D., & Fredericks, T.K. (2007). The effect of adjustment period on maximum acceptable
- frequency for a roofing task. International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, 37(4), 357-365.
- Choi, S. D., Griinke*, D., & Lederer*, M. (2006). Fall protection equipment effects on productivity and safety in residential roofing construction. Journal of Construction Research, 7(1/2), 149-157.
- Choi, S. D., Kapp, E.A., & Cole, W.M. (2006). Educating construction safety professionals: A collaborative model for the 21st century. Professional Safety, 51(7), 41-45.
- Fredericks, T.K., Choi, S. D., Jason, H., Butt, S.E., & Mital A. (2005). An investigation of myocardial aerobic capacity as a measure of both physical and cognitive workloads. International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, 35(12), 1097-1107.
- “Emergency Response to the COVID-19 pandemic (& Post-COVID19 pandemic), CDC/NIOSH IPA Grant (20IPA2014136-M02), U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), September 2022 – August 2023, $44,785.38.
- “Emergency Response to the COVID-19 pandemic”. CDC/NIOSH IPA Grant (20IPA2014136-M01). U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), September 2021 – August 2022, $43,288.93.
- “COVID-19 Pandemic and Construction Safety and Health”. CDC/NIOSH IPA Grant. Occupational Safety & Health (OSH) Specialist. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), Assignment Agreement 20IPA2014136, September 2020 – August 2021, $43,288.93.
- “Communications Plan – Abstract Coding” NIOSH/CPWR – The Center for Construction Research and Training. (Agreement No. 3001-911-02), NIOSH Cooperative Agreement National Center for Construction Safety and Health. No. U60OH009762 (CFDA#93.262), DHHS/NIOSH, December 2017 – April 2018, $5,000.00.
- “Data Tracking”, NIOSH/CPWR – The Center for Construction Research and Training.
- (Agreement No. 3001-616-03-Amemdment No. 2), NIOSH Cooperative Agreement National Center for Construction Safety and Health. No. U60OH009762 (CFDA#93.262), DHHS/NIOSH, September 2016 – August 2017, $5,000.00.
- “Assessing the Risk of Falls using the Ratings of Perceived Loss of Balance”. CoBE Summer Research Grant. University of Wisconsin, $5,000.00.
- “Data Tracking and Support Services”, NIOSH/CPWR – The Center for Construction Research and Training. Agreement No. 3001-616-03. NIOSH Cooperative Agreement National Center for Construction Safety and Health. No. U60OH009762 (CFDA#93.262), DHHS/NIOSH, July 2014 – August 2015, $5,000.00.
- Fall Protection and Prevention Systems in the Construction Industry”, Undergraduate Research Grant.
- The Undergraduate Research Program (URP), University of Wisconsin, 2013-2014, $476.00.
- “Online/Blended Courses and Best Practices.” Summer Faculty Online/Blended Workshop. The Learning Technology Center, University of Wisconsin, May-June 2013, $1000.00
- “Community-Based Learning Fellowship”. LEARN Center. School of Graduate Studies and Continuing
- Education. University of Wisconsin, 2012, $2,750.00.
- “COEPS Mini-Grant and Professional Development Fund”. COEPS Distance Education Committee. University of Wisconsin, 2012, $4,272.00.
- “Occupational and Environmental Safety and Health Distance Learning Program
- Administration and Outreach Project”. COEPS Mini-Grant, COEPS Distance Education Committee, University of Wisconsin, 2011-2012, $17,600.00.
- “Seat Belt Observation Surveys”. Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT),
- U.S. Bureau of Transportation Safety, March-August 2008, $149,218.00.
- “Motorcycle Speed and Observational Survey”. Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT), U.S. Bureau of Transportation Safety, June-September 2007, $257,178.00.
- “Seat Belt Observation Surveys”. Grant from the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT),
- U.S. Bureau of Transportation Safety, March-August 2007, $141,095.00.
- “Impact of Emerging Technologies in Construction Safety”, Undergraduate Research Grant,
- Undergraduate Research Program (URP), University of Wisconsin, 2007-2008, $500.00.
- “An Investigation of the Suitable Medium to Effectively Communicate Safety Training to Hispanic Construction Workers”, The Undergraduate Research Program (URP), University of Wisconsin, 2006-2007, $500.00.
- “An Investigation of Personal Fall Arrest Systems Related Safety and Productivity in Roof-Shingling Construction”, Faculty Proposal and Research Enhancement Program (FPREP). The University’s School of Graduate Studies and Continuing Education, the University of Wisconsin-Extension, 2005-2006, $3,622.00.
- “Grant Scholars Program”, The Office of Research and Sponsored Programs (ORSP), The University of Wisconsin, 2005-2006, Grant Scholar, $4,500.00.
- Member, Undergraduate Research Council, UW Undergraduate Research Program (URP), 2005-2015
- Summer UW Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) Grants Reviewer, 2012-2014
- Member, Graduate Programs Council, 2014-2019
- Member, UW OPEC (Online Program Excellence Committee), 2022-2023
- CDC/NIOSH Scientific Grant Peer Reviewer, 2009-present
- Scientific Committee on Aging & Work, International Commission on Occupational Health (ICOH), 2022-present
- Judge, The Annual General Donald R. Keith Memorial Capstone Conference, The United States Military Academy (USMA), West Point, NY, 2019-present
- President, International Society for Occupational Ergonomics and Safety (ISOES), 2018-2019
- Advisor/Mentor, Lakeland Safety Council, Elkhorn, Wisconsin, 2010
- Advisor, National Institute of Chemical Safety of Ministry of Environment, Accident Prevention and Assessment Division, South Korea, 2019-present
- Advisor, Society for Industrial and Systems Engineering (SISE), 2012-present
- Advisor, International Ergonomics Association (IEA): The Building and Construction Technical Committee, 2009-present
- Reviewer, National Conference on Undergraduate Research (NCUR), 2011-present
- ACS Committee Member, Ergonomics in Surgery - Fundamental of Surgical Ergonomics,
- American College of Surgeons (ACS) Division of Education. Chicago, IL, 2021-2022
- 2022 CDC/NIOSH Bullard-Sherwood Award for Research to Practice Honorable Mention,
- Intervention Category: Expanding Occupational Health and Safety Expertise Through External Partnerships, April 2022
- 2019 Stegall Pollock Safety Faculty Award. Outstanding performance, leadership, UWW COBE,
- and commitment to the promotion and advancement of the occupational safety field and profession, May 2019
- The Recipient of 2017 “Outstanding Research Award”, College of Business and Economics (CoBE),
- University of Wisconsin, August 2017
- HFES A. R. Lauer Safety Award (nominated), Human Factors and Ergonomics Society, 2017, 2015
- HFES Paul M. Fitts Education Award (nominated), Human Factors/Ergonomics Society, 2014
- Selected to NIOSH sponsored a Special Research to Practice (RtP) track at the 100th National Safety
- Council (NSC) Congress, 2013
- Best of the Best Paper Award, The American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE)’s Council on
- Practices & Standards (CoPS), 2012
- The Recipient of the University-Wide Award for Outstanding Research, The University of Wisconsin,
- Office of The Chancellor, 2009
- The Recipient of 2008 NSC Research Award, The National Safety Council (NSC), College &
- University Initiative: Education & Research, 2008
- The Recipient of 2007 NSC Research Award, The National Safety Council (NSC), College and
- University Initiative: Education and Research, 2007
- The Recipient of 2005 New Horizon Safety Research Award, National Safety Council (NSC),
- Educational Resources Division, 2005
- Cooperated in the National Science Foundation (NSF)’s Research Experiences for Undergraduates
- (REU) Program in Construction Engineering, Western Michigan University, 2002-2003
- The Recipient of 2003 University-Wide Graduate Research and Creative Scholar Award, Western
- Michigan University, The Graduate College, 2003
- Conducted an ergonomic evaluation of the different types of latches of reusable shipping containers for O.C.’s Product Development Department, Wisconsin, 2009
- Conducted an ergonomic study of the recycling sorting process for Johns Disposal Service, Inc., Wisconsin, 2004
- Cooperated in an ergonomic evaluation and selection of patient handling equipment at the Hospital, Wisconsin, 2004
- JFAssociates, Inc., Associated Consultant, 2019-2023
- Professional Member, American Public Health Association (APHA)
- Professional Member, American Society of Safety Professional (ASSP)
- Member, National Safety Council (NSC)